I come from a city where this particular dish is very famous..Ya Ya I am talking about Hyderabadi Biryani. There are many a variations in making this Biryani. Here is mine.
Biryani is usually eaten along with raitha(a curd dish) or mirchi ka salan( a green chili gravy)
Basmati rice : 2 cups (Soak Rice for 10 mins and add 21/2 cups water while cooking ) * add little and and 1 tsp salt to the boiling rice.
Vegetables to be chopped:
Potatoes : 2
onions : 1
carrots : 2
beans : 10
peas : 1/3 cup
green chilies : 6
Bay leaves :2
Shah jeera – 1 tsp
Biryani flower :1
ghee/butter -1/2 tsp
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
Saffron color- a pinch
1.In a large saucepan put 1 tsp oil and 1/2 tsp ghee/butter, bay leaves, cinnamon,cardamon,lavang,biryani flower, green chilies, shah jeera,ginger garlic paste and finely chopped onions. (Don’t burn the onions cook on low flame)
2. When onions turn golden brown add all the chopped vegetables. (* add just a pinch of salt and cover the pan with a lid*).
3. When the vegetables are 80% done. Turn the stove off.
4. Take a big pan, take half of the cooked vegetables and spread as a layer, and now on top of it add another layer of cooked rice, repeat this until you are done with both rice and vegetables.
5. Now mix a pinch of saffron color in water and sprinkle it on the layer of rice and vegetables.
We are almost done!
6. Now you have to cook this on stove for another 10 minutes or you can keep it in oven at 300 degrees for about 15 minutes. (* when you cook on stove make sure you put this pan in another big pan with water as you don’t burn the bottom *)
That’s it! Your biryani is ready.