Donadakaya/ tindora is another vegetable with which we can make varieties of recipes. Just like brinjal we can make Guthi dondakaya, Dondakaya uli karam, donakaya fry, dondakaya masala and so on and so forth..For today I tried Donakaya Pachadi..
1. Dondakaya/ tindora – 15 ( Wash and cut into small round pieces).
2. Green chillies – 4 – 7 ( according to spice level)
3. Garlic clove – 1
4. Jeera – 1 tbs
5. Oil – 2 tbs
6. Salt – according to taste
7. Tamrind/ imli – an inch piece. ( wash and keep aside)
8. Coriander – to garnish.
For poppu/ Tadka:
1. Mustard seeds :
2. Curry leaves – 4
3. Red chilli – 1
4. sanaga pappu / chana dal – 1 tbs
5. minapappu / Urad dal – 1 tbs
6. Hing- a big pinch
7. Turmeric – a pinch
1. In a shallow pan add 1 tbs oil, finely chopped donakaya/tindora and green chillies let them fry for a while on medium high. ( Cover the pan with a lid and don’t burn the bottom it will spoil the taste )
2. When the donakaya/tindora is 90% done ( prick to see if its done) add the tamrind/ imli turnoff the stove and keep it aside to cool for 5 minutes with lid.
3. Now take a mixie/blender add the donakaya/ tindora , 1 tbs jeera, 1 garlic clove , salt and grind. (don’t grind too much it will become a paste. Grind just for few seconds, don’t worry if u have some dondakaya/ tindora pieces un mashed).
4. Now empty the jar into a serving bowl and keep it aside.
5. In a poppu/tadka pan add 1tbs oil add Sanagapappu, mina pappu, and let them turn golden brown. Now add a mustard seeds, hing, jeera and let them splutter. Finally add the curry leaves and immediately add this to the pachadi/ chutney.
6. Garnish with corinader and serve with hot rice.